The federal government is tracking the decline of COVID-19 cases in nursing homes, including in the New Canaan area.
- Posted Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 1:35 pm ET
NEW CANAAN, CT — The coronavirus pandemic has devastated nursing homes across the U.S., with thousands of cases and deaths among residents reported weekly. The country has seen great improvement recently, however, with the fewest recorded weekly cases among nursing home residents since at least late May 2020.
The federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has been tracking the number of coronavirus cases and deaths in nursing homes, including one in the New Canaan area.
CMS reported around 5,700 nursing home resident COVID-19 cases nationwide during the week of Feb. 1-7. Its data shows weekly recorded cases are down nearly 85 percent since the peak in mid-December.
There have been more than 631,000 coronavirus cases among nursing home residents and 127,000 deaths since the pandemic began, according to CMS. More than a quarter of all U.S. deaths are among nursing home residents.
Nursing home staff members have also been heavily affected by the pandemic, with 542,000 recorded staff cases and more than 1,500 deaths.
The federal government has prioritized long-term care residents and staff for the coronavirus vaccine in an effort to stem cases and deaths. Around 4.3 million residents and staff in long-term care facilities have received at least one dose as of Feb. 18, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Some notes on the CMS data: CMS has authority over nursing homes but not over other senior living facilities such as assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. Only nursing homes that pass the agency’s data quality check are included. CMS also notes that its data could differ from state reports, owing to different counting methods, and in some cases it omits information on cases and deaths before May 17, when reporting became mandatory.
Below are the figures for one nursing home in the New Canaan area.
Don’t see the nursing home you’re looking for? Search for it here.
Editor’s note: This list was automatically generated using data compiled by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. The local nursing homes included in the list are limited to those included in the government data. Please report any errors or other feedback to email@example.com.
WAVENY CARE CENTER
3 FARM ROAD, NEW CANAAN
- Week of Feb. 1-7: There were 0 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 0 related deaths among 54 total residents at this nursing home during the week ending Feb. 7.
- Overall: Since the onset of the pandemic, there have been 22 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 16 related deaths reported among nursing home residents.
- Week of Feb. 1-7: This nursing home reported 0 confirmed COVID-19 cases among its staff members in the week ending Feb. 7.
- Overall: There have been 35 confirmed cases and 0 deaths due to COVID-19 reported among staff members since the pandemic began.