Our volunteers share their immeasurable
talents, commitment and enthusiasm with the residents, patients and participants
in Waveny's family of healthcare facilities, services and programs. They
are spirited individuals who augment the professional staff, provide links
to the outside community, and give Waveny members one-on-one attention
and assistance with activities.
Every day, our volunteers reaffirm
Waveny's reputation for excellence with their hard work and dedication.
Together, our volunteers donate approximately 17,000 service hours to
Waveny each year - that's the equivalent of nearly nine full-time staff
We would be delighted to have you
join our Waveny volunteer team. We want you to have fun while making a
positive difference in someone else's life.
- Play a musical instrument
- Present an inclusive musical
- Lead a craft, art or needlework
- Facilitate discussions on current
- Perform a creative demonstration
Incorporate your interests
- Present an educational or cultural program
- Develop and implement outdoor gardening projects
- Arrange flowers or participate in horticultural
- Play a card game, board game or other activity
of your choice
- Read poetry or prose to a captive audience
- Lead a low-impact exercise group
- Help care for Waveny's assortment of plants
with Daily Activities
- Serve tea or host social hour
- Assist at the nurses' station
- Help serve breakfast, lunch or dinner
- Help manage the library
- Escort patients to events and activities
- Visit with patients and residents who appreciate
- Provide transportation
- Assist our front desk and help with office work
- Discover interdepartmental opportunities for
Our Junior Volunteers are an especially
important resource at Waveny. These young adults take time out of their
busy schedules to share their enthusiasm and energy with others. With
parental permission, students from age 13 through high school age are
eligible to be Junior Volunteers. Students work in areas appropriate to
their interests and maturity level.
- All prospective volunteers should first schedule
an introductory meeting with the director of volunteers.
- Interested candidates are then asked to attend
a mandatory general orientation session.
- All volunteers must have a tuberculosis test
prior to beginning their volunteer work. Waveny will administer
this test for free.
- Please do not report for duty if you have a
cold, sore throat or symptom of a contagious illness. When possible,
notify the Volunteer Office in advance of any cancellation.
- Volunteers are asked to wear their Waveny name
badges at all times while on duty.
- Volunteers must respect and keep confidential
all information about Waveny's patients, residents and Adult Day
- Volunteers are encouraged to attend Waveny's
educational programs so they may enhance their understanding of
Waveny Care Network's mission, services and standards of conduct.
- Junior and senior volunteer celebrations and
award ceremonies are held each year. Awards are presented to Waveny
volunteers based on hours and years of service.
For additional information, or to schedule
a meeting, please contact Sandie Malloy, director of volunteers, at